Sunday, August 17, 2008

Not great news




It's been a while since the last post because we've been wondering how to put this---. Linda's oncologist told us back on the 8th that after only 3 months on Torisel that the tumors have started growing again. That day he told us there weren't many options left and suggested Linda's quality of life might be better if we stopped treatment altogether.

Since that conversation he consulted with Dr. Atkins in Boston, who made several other suggestions, including upping the Torisel dose by 50% (which we did last week), and restarting the Sutent (which we will do starting tomorrow). We also have an appointment to visit the OSU Comprehensive Care Center in Columbus this Friday, and we're looking into a clinical trial for a new medication with a group here in Cincinnati.

Meanwhile Linda has had to rest much more than previously. Also her strength has decreased due to the loss of muscle mass caused by the cancer.

None of this has prevented us from getting back down to Wilmington to visit Elliot, Andrea and Chris, where we are right now. Elliot has changed so much in just two weeks, much more alert and looking around at everyone and everything in the room. When he gets fussy, Chris will lay him on the floor and play classical guitar music, which he seems to enjoy.

Also, we recognized during our last visit that Linda would not be able to climb the steps to our third floor condo much longer, so we found a 1 story townhome in the same Magnolia Greens subdivision as the condo. It was unfurnished, so we spent the week before this trip getting enough furniture in place for us to spend a few days. As it turns out, all we really needed was a bed, a TV and a comfortable sofa. Andrea's friend Susan Wood helped by making sure the house had all the essentials such as towels, sheets, dishes, etc. Thanks a heap, Susan! You did a great job.

Love, Jim & Linda

11 comments:

Brittney Dudley said...

I haven't posted in a while, but can I just say again that you are a wonderful, fantastic person. I adore
you and so do MANY others. Through this whole ordeal you just continue to attack and beat the odds and I expect we will see that again.

Also, Elliot is very cute and it sounds like he has outstanding parents and grandparents who will help him do amazing things in life.

kmberk said...

Linda and Jim,
Glad you were able to get to Wilmington. Know that you are in our thoughts.

Love,
Kathy & Jack

Susan said...

I'm glad you were able to get down there to see your grandson again, despite the recent setbacks. I know you are both doing everything you can to hang in there. I pray for you all the time, which is good practice for me since I've gotten a bit rusty in recent years :)

Hope you enjoy your visit and that the new meds do some good. Much love to you both!

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you have been able to come back to wilmington to visit that sweet little baby. I'm sure he brings you much joy ;)
I'm also sorry I didnt get the chance to meet you last time you were here. Maybe we could reschedule that meeting sometime. But more than anything else, I just wanted you to know, all of you are in our thoughts and hearts.
Enjoy your visit in our sunshine!
Cynthia

Unknown said...

I am inspired by your perseverance and dedication. Your entire family is amazing (especially that latest addition!) and many are praying for you, myself included!
Love ya!
Lora :)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're enjoying your grandson! He's a lucky little boy! I love you so much and continue to hope that these new treatments work for you. You and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya lots.
Gina

Anonymous said...

Can't believe you made a decision about a bed, sofa AND TV in one week's time! That's an "Olympic World Record" for you. You deserve the gold medal for that and so many other challenges like all the comments refer to.

Love you forever, Sue N

Anonymous said...

I have not sent in a post for awhile, but I was reading the last entry and I wanted to write something.

Mrs. Wimmers, you are such an uplifting person and were a great teacher to me. As you can see on your blog, you are loved by so many people and I hope that what everyone writes can be uplifting and encouraging. Keep fighting and know that we are all praying for you and thinking of you. I am glad you are able to be with Elliot a lot (who seems adorable!). Hang in there :)

With Love,
Betsy Fox

Kelli K said...

Linda and Jim,
I don't pretend to understand the frustration and hurt this disease has caused you, but I do know some things for sure...Love is the best medicine in the world. Drink it up. Mercy comes to those who seek it, so keep fighting. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away (I obviously didn't make that up, but it bears repeating. You are enjoying some breathtaking moments recently with that sweet baby).

Just when it seems as though the cancer is winning, know that only you control your spirit and your heart. My prayer for you is that you win this battle again and show Cancer who's boss!
I love ya and miss ya.
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Jim & Linda,

You and your family are in my prayers.

After reading all of the postings on this blog, I am reminded what a great couple the two of you are, as well as what great individuals.

May God Bless,
Carol

Anonymous said...

L Dubya,
My prayers are with you and as always...just keep swimming :)
Meghan Connelly