Sunday, December 30, 2007

Happy New Year's Eve Eve


Hi everybody, Jim here. Well, it was a great Christmas, all things considered. Tony and Beth, Andrea and Chris all arrived on Saturday the 22nd. We went to my sister Mary Anne's house on Sunday, Linda's sister Pam's house on Monday, and we spent Christmas Day lounging around the house, eating and opening presents. Unfortunately, Linda woke up that morning with a stuffy nose that has turned into a really, really bad cold. Because of her high blood pressure, she can't take any of the good decongestents, so the head cold phase was pretty miserable. The kids were great though, making sure Mom was comfortable. Tony split all the firewood in the backyard and kept the fireplace going most of the week. Andrea even let Mom win one or two games of Set. We also got a Wii console for Christmas, so Linda and Andrea got to play tennis in the Family Room. It really is exercise, as you can see.


Tony and Beth left for Madison on Thursday, and Andrea and Chris left for Wilmington yesterday morning. We wanted to thank the kids for spending so much time hereaway from their homes, but also we want to say thanks to Ron and Rosie Rohlman, and Robert and Ann Talley for letting their children spend both Thanksgiving and Christmas in Cincinnati. We're sure it was hard for them, and we want to make sure they know we appreciate it.


Fortunately(?), Linda's cold has moved from her head to her chest, so the sneezing has been replaced by coughing. It's pretty much laid her out, so the last two days have been spent sleeping on the couch, while I challenge Tiger Woods on the Wii.


Oh, I almost forgot. Before the holidays began, we went to see the Oncologist on the 21st. Linda's blood test indicated everything was ok, except her hemoglobin levels were a little low again. So between the cold, the holidays, and the blood transfusion wearing off, it's no surprise she's so tired. We go back for another blood test next Friday, so we'll see if another transfusion is in the cards. Overall, Dr. Bhandari was really encouraged by Linda's condition. He said we have a good indicator in her temperature of whether the tumors are active or not, and when she's taking Sutent daily, things seem to be under control for now. And since she's tolerating the 50mg dose so well, his recommendation is to keep taking it and forget the "two weeks off" part. We probably won't go for another CAT scan until late February or early March.


It will be a low key New year's Eve celebration this year, but we will spend the evening remembering all of our friends, relations, co-workers and students who have done so much for us and have let us know how much Linda means to all of you.

4 comments:

Kelli K said...

Don't ya just love the Wii!!! The other Christmas miracle is that Santa found one to give you! (Ha Ha) I've found that I'm a much better tennis player on the Wii than I am in real life, and I can kick some butt in bowling too! Santa also bought us a SET game, so we've been challenging each other with that in good ol' Wimmers fashion! I'm glad to hear you're back to dealing with "normal" winter ailments like colds and that the ickiness of the cancer isn't the most bothersome thing for you right now. That didn't come out the way I meant for it to, but you know what I mean!

Love ya and continuing to think of you.
Kelli

Brittney Dudley said...

It sounds like a great Christmas! You know what would make it even better, a visit from the mission trip group! I see from your blog you are a very busy person, so I thought I would check when you are free and feel well enough for a visit. Meg Flum and I were thinking this Friday afternoon or Saturday, but it is probably easier to work around your schedule. Send me an e-mail at bdudley2@nd.edu or call (513) 523-8230 and we can set something up. Love ya, Brittney

kmberk said...

Linda and Jim,
Jack and Kathy here; back from visiting Jim, Karen and the kids in Rhode Island. Needless to say, we talked about you and hoping for the best. Looking forward to seeing you at the next Berkemeyer wedding in a couple of weeks. Happy New Year. May it bring nothing but good news.

Love,
Kathy & Jack

ChelleSmiles said...

I have read your blogs as dutifully as possible over the past several months, and it's about time I post a comment.
It's evident you have wonderful close neighbors and friends who are willing to help out, but I wanted to also offer up any assistance I may be able to provide should you need it. My phone #is 520-2479.

It's so fun that you guys got a Wii. Glad you have some fun indoor entertainment for the messy and (recently) cold winter. After having a Wii for several months, I have to admit I'm still lousy at Wii Tennis, but it's much less painful than watching me play in real life.

I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts. Hope the chest cold is dissipating!

Michelle Burress