Sunday, January 6, 2008

Mystery Solved

Hi Everybody, Jim again. I mentioned in the last post that Linda had been feeling very tired lately. As Linda said, her Christmas miracle only lasted till Christmas. I called the oncologist on Thursday, and he suggested coming in that day (a day early) for the blood test. That way when her hemoglobin levels tested low again, she could get a transfusion on Friday and not wait until Monday. Imagine our surprise then when her hemoglobin levels came back normal! There were other tests that would not be available right away, so we made an appointment and came back the next day. The oncologist told us back on the 21st of December that he would start checking for thyriod function on the next blood test, and sure enough, the tests came back indicating that Linda now suffers from hypothyroidism. Google it if you want, but all it means is that the thyroid isn't producing as much of the hormone as it's supposed to. The main symptoms are (guess what!) weakness and fatigue. And of course, it's just another side effect of the Sutent.
The good news is that it's easily treated. Lots of people suffer from hypothyroidism, and in Linda's case it's just medication induced. So we have another pill to take (Synthroid). It may take a week or two for the medication to start making her feel better, but our plan is for it to kick in just in time for her cousin's son's wedding next weekend.
That's all for now. Linda says she hopes she feels well enough to write the next update herself.

Luv ya!

Jim & Linda

7 comments:

Wan and Saran said...

Another good news and another mystery solved. Jim, I didn't even try to Google it because I know you wanted to explain it youself.
Keep the good news coming.
See you later,

Saran

kmberk said...

Excellent news, cause we expect to see you Saturday at the wedding. Weather looking good. We'll be heading down on Friday, staying with JoAnn.
Love,
Kathy & Jack

Unknown said...

I was really impressed by your Wii playing skills!!! Hope 2008 is good to you!

Love ya!
Lora :)

Kelli K said...

I could get used to this...everytime I get on to check up on ya, there's more good news! Hope you're feeling rested soon. I was thinking about you last night during the halftime show of the OSU game. It made me think about the wonderful tribute you gave your Dad at his funeral. I love those old military songs. Miss you! My Christmas cold is finally clearing up, so as soon as you're up for it, I'd love to visit with you!

Love ya!
Kelli

ChelleSmiles said...

Very encouraging! Hypothyroidism is easy to treat (I've had it since I was 23). I know it's a relief when considering the other possible causes of the fatigue and weakness.
It could be 6 weeks before the synthroid fully kicks in, but it's good that they are keeping a close eye on things. Glad to see the update!

Michelle

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

More good news! I think 2008 is gonna be a good year! (I sure hope so anyway) We have to get together SOON! Miss ya & love ya
Gina