Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Taste of Trestle Drive

Hi Everybody, Jim again. This thank you is long overdue...
Back in September when we came home from Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, Linda was suffering from the effects of the IL-2 treatment, and I knew it would be a while before that would pass. So on one of my many trips to the pharmacy for medication, I thought I'd better stock up on some frozen pot pies.

However, I had not counted on the extent to which our friends would go to take care of us. Almost immediately, people started showing up with food. Casseroles. Soups. Cookies. Homemade cinnamon rolls! Badin teachers and staff were driving from Hamilton to make sure Linda had enough to eat. Friends from my work were giving me food to take home. The neighbors on the street got really organized in December when things got very hectic. Every other day, a different neighbor would show up at the door, bringing whole meals---I mean, salads, entrees, side dishes and desserts...every other day! And by neighbors, I mean not just the people on the street, but people who used to live on the street as much as five years ago. When people cook something like that, it usually served six. Linda wasn't eating that much, so everything was lasting a minimum of three nights. We actually had to ask them to slow down when we ran out of room in the refridgerator and the freezer. Now I know that most of these people understood that Linda wasn't eating that much, so pretty soon I came to the realization that many of these people were worried about me. Probably for good reason. My mom taught me lots of things in her long lifetime, but one of them wasn't how to cook. I can pour cereal with the best of them, and usually open a can without cutting myself, but that's about it. So left to my own devices, meals would have been a limited number of unimaginative selections. Instead, dinner at our house is now referred to as "A Taste of Trestle Drive". (That's our street name.)

The other night, I was downstairs rooting around in the freezer for the leftover Cordon Bleu, and I came across the pot pies that I bought in September... they're all still there.

I would thank all of you by name, but I'm sure I would leave somebody out. Anyway you know who you are, and the extra five pounds I carry around now are a constant reminder of the endless generosity of all of our friends and relatives. Thanks to all of you from the bottom of my heart.

Jim

1 comment:

Wan and Saran said...

Jim,

Are you trying to tell us that you ran out of good food and have to eat frozen pot pie? You also can't blame us on the extra pounds you gain. I realize this is the era of blaming everyone else for your misfortune but I don't buy it. You have to be responsible for your own action. Like they said, you are what you eat. Tell Linda I said Hi.

Take care,

Saran