Sunday, November 25, 2007

Quiet Sunday


This is Andrea, writing on a quiet Sunday after a busy and tiring Thanksgiving weekend. Tony and Beth came in late Tuesday night, and Chris flew in Wednesday night, so we've had a full house! On Thursday, we had Jim's family over for Thanksgiving dinner (which we ordered from Burbank's to make it easy on ourselves). We had a great time catching up with everybody and the food wasn't so bad, either.

Friday, we had a brief visit in the morning from my friend Erica, then we went to my cousin David's house for a second Thanksgiving dinner. The entire family was there--22 people and we all sat at one big table! Again, it was wonderful to see everyone and I would especially like to thank everyone who made accommodations for us vegetarians. Everything was delicious. My mom's sister, Pam, presented my mom with a framed piece of art with inspirational phrases from everyone in the family. It was very touching and beautiful.

From there, my mom, Chris, and I went to Badin for game night. It was very special for her to see all of her students who have meant so much to her over the years, and it was neat for me to meet the people I've been hearing about for so long. Many, many games of SET were played, but not by mom, who was too busy catching up with old students and friends.

All this time, mom had been feeling pretty good. Saturday she started getting a little tired. But we had a nice visit from her cousin Jack and his wife Kathy, who live in Chicago, and then enjoyed dinner (Indian and Chinese take-out) together as a family. After that, we decorated our Christmas tree while listening to Christmas music. It was a very Norman Rockwell moment-- we even had Tony and Beth's dog, Marco, there to supervise.

Mom started taking a different medication for high blood pressure yesterday. When she first started taking Sutent 3 weeks ago, she had to exchange her regular bp medication for a different one, because the one she was on would interfere with Sutent. Since then, she has had pretty high blood pressure. Sutent also makes blood pressure go up. So dad has been in contact with many doctors, trying to find a medication that might work better, but not interfere with Sutent. So she started taking a new one yesterday. Today she feels pretty crummy--tired and nauseous. And Wednesday will be her last dose of Sutent for 2 weeks, so who know what will happen then? At least the new medication is doing its job--her blood pressure has gone down a little bit.

Tony and Beth left this morning, and today will be a peaceful day of watching football, I hope. Chris and I leave tomorrow morning for Wilmington. We will be sad to go, but I know we're leaving her in good hands with all of you!

Thanks so much for everything--the prayers, food, and gifts are all very much appreciated!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

It was so nice to finally meet Andrea and Chris at Badin on friday after reading these posts and feeling like I already knew them! It was a special blessing to see you, Linda, and I know that the night meant a great deal to the small sampling of students whose lives you touched in positive ways. Thanks to Gina as well for organizing the event. I hope this week is a good one!

Anonymous said...

Linda and Family,
I heard about the family night from Dave G. but with our own son in town from San Francisco we couldn't get to Badin. Hope you all had a great time!!! It's a brilliant new tradition for the greater Badin/Wimmer's family! I hope the size just gets bigger every year, so your scholarship fund will grow as well...
Stay strong and rest up for Christmas... :-)
Love ya,
Deby

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're one busy lady. I'm so glad we all got to spend some time together on Friday! I miss you and love you. We'll be sending zillions of prayers via Kairos this week. Take care of yourself.
Love ya- Gina

Kelli K said...

I hated that I had to miss Friday. I was planning to come, but then was feeling like I was coming down with something and I didn't want to take the chance of passing it on. The boys have been a snotty mess lately so I thought I'd better not risk it. I thought of you often this weekend as I put out my Christmas decorations--several of them came from you when you were my Secret Santa! It was nice having a part of you with me this weekend!
Love and miss you!
Kelli

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Wimmers!
It's Olivia. I've been thinking about you much. You were included in my birthday wish on Friday as I blew out candles on a Pizza,...well just about, anyway. We were at Geno's Pizza place for a bday lunch the day after T-day.

I was with my family and boyfriend for the Thanksgiving break. Jon and I headed back to San Francisco (2hrs drive)shortly after blowing out candles. Funny, then I came home and lit a candle for you and said a silent prayer. My plan is to light it every evening and say a little prayer for you. Here's hoping that your body is replenished with the energy you need to have a feel good week.
Fondly,
Olivia

magronotte said...

Linda and Jim,
In reading the blog from you all, I noticed something constant in it all. Your generosity to others. You are always giving to someone else,no matter what. It might be teaching a game, giving thanks to others, a gift of great magnitude, and causing others to be generous as well. I am so impressed about the scholarship in your name. That is so amazing! One thing you do need to remember is that God will not be outdone in generosity.
I ask all the others in this blog to email all the blessings THEY have received from this trial that YOU have been asked to bear. I'll bet that there are so many.
In reading this 'Intercesion' book that I am reading lately, one chapter said to look at the blessings you have received in praying for Linda (another person) and the blessings that have come about in general through praying for Linda. What an amazing gift Jim and LInda have given us all!

Love and Prayers,
Mary Anne & Tim