Friday, November 2, 2007

Tails up

Hi everybody - Today we visited two oncologists in town, in order to get restarted with a steady treatment in Cincinnati. So yes, that meant that all four of us shuffled in to the patient's rooms for the consult, and if either of the doctors were put off by the crowded conditions, they didn't show it. (And in what was probably a first in his life, Dad was complimented for his organizational skills.)

We don't have to get into the particulars about blood tests, scheduling and most of the other stuff that went on in the visits, but the important message we got from them was that the treatment with Sutent that Mom started yesterday has a good chance of shrinking Mom's type of tumors.

We have to share one more piece of information from the visit - Mom got a flu shot today, and the doctors said that her risk of flu would be even lower if everyone who spent time with her got a flu shot too. So if you'd like to visit in the next few months, we'd appreciate it if you make a date with the needle.

Also, for those of you who are asking what you can do to help, Mom has little request. For years, Mom would to give blood every chance she had, and now she happens to be more on the receiving end. Though there's no blood shortage that we know of, it would be great if some of you out there could go donate blood with Mom in mind and write to us in the comments about it, and hey, maybe even attach a link to a little picture if you can. If possible, see if you can credit the donation to the Badin High School faculty, which is what Mom always did.

Mom's still getting plenty of rest (yesterday was nice and low-key), and her appetite is still slowly improving. She normally eats a few bites of solid food on each meal now.

Thanks for the love,

LJA&T

P.S. Does anybody know what "Tails Up" means? Dr. Bhandari said it at the end of our visit, and we all kind of faked that we understood...

14 comments:

Unknown said...

To maybe answer your question, whenever our team (Badin..woohoo!) was to make the call on a coin flip we always went with tails, because "tails never fails." I could be way off with that, but it's the first thing I thought of. Glad to hear that you had a positive visit with the doctors today. You all continue to be in my prayers daily.

Love ya!

Kelly V.

BuckeyeGuy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BuckeyeGuy said...

"If someone has their tail up, they are optimistic and expect to be successful." - http://tinyurl.com/37wcns

Glad you're able to get back to solid food; you can only draw so much strength from a liquid diet!

Looking forward to visiting with you soon!

Love,

Dave

Anonymous said...

Linda,
I already got a flu shot too, so get ready, cuz here I come! I hope to get together soon! Enjoy the family and get some rest! FYI Badin TAG is planning a blood drive in the spring too (mostly in your honor)! I thought that would make you smile! I have no clue about the tails up thing. But if it works...then TAILS UP! I miss you lots & love ya too!
Gina
ps Beth Jolivette e-mailed and says she loves you and is going to try to get on the blog asap. I just wanted you to know!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim, Linda, Tony, and Andrea,
I'm so relieved that things are tails up. I already have had my flu shot two weeks ago, so let me know what we can do. Also am schedule to give blood on Thurs., but will not be taking pictures (I hate blood related activities)BUT IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE, I can help, I am even working on getting closer to Tressie. I'm thinking and praying for you all.

Love,
Beckie

the theurers said...

Linda,Jim,Tony,Andrea,
The girls wanted me to send their luv. So here it is LUV!!!
David

Anonymous said...

Already had my flu shot too!! So I'm all set to help. I bet the doctors were so impressed with such an magnificent family.

Beverly said...

Not sure what Tails Up means - but if it means good things for you....then TAILS UP!

I'm thinking about you guys and praying hard!!

xxoo,

Bev

Judy K said...

Here's my take - when my cats are in a good mood they walk around with their tails up - happy - positive - life is good catatidude - so keep those tails up - take care - love you - I'll come for a visit when you say the word - Judy Kennedy

Anonymous said...

Hey Wimmers Family,
I talked to Mike, my hubby the retired Navy Captain and the saying "Tails Up" has the do with the hook on the airplane being up prior to take off on the aircraft carriers...it translates to "Smooth sailing...Full Speed Ahead whatever!" Its a good thing!!! :-)

The picture of all of you going to the doctors with Linda was too endearing.

Hang in there and I'm hoping those tumors shrink quickly so Linda can start enjoying food more easily!!!

In the meantime our prayers continue for all of you... ;-)
Love Ya,
Deby

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let Ms. Wimmers know how much I am praying for her and wishing the best for her and the family. Ms. Wimmers has meant the world to me. I remember having her my junior year and myself, and two of my friends, wanted to move from ACP to Honors Math for Senior Year. To do this, we would be required to take a class at Xavier University to catch up with the honors class, but we would also have to continue taking our Junior Math class at Badin. Although I really wanted to do it, I was afraid that I couldn't handle it - that I couldn't handle all the work required to make this jump - I couldn't handle Honors Math. I talked to her about it, and she was so supportive, positive, and excited about our wanting to do this. I was amazed that someone who wasn't my family was so supportive, even to the point that I felt that she really was personally invested in my future, my succeeding not only as a student, but as a human being and having faith in myself.

It's this feeling that I've kept with me up to this day. When I started graduate school and had many of the same feelings that I had during that time, many of her words came back to me and I knew that I could do it. Even today, I teach high school at a Catholic, inner city high school in New York City and my goal everyday is to try to be as supportive and caring to my kids as she was to me.

Thank you so much Ms. Wimmers for everything you did for me, directly and indirectly. You have truly changed my life and in turn changed many of the lives of the kids I teach.

I am praying for you and your family unceasingly and will continue to do so for a long time.

If anyone deserves the prayers, it's someone as amazing and supportive as Ms. Wimmers.

Thank you again.

Steven Ellis
Badin High School, 2001

Sara said...

You're definitely the most amazing person I've ever met.
Hang in there! :)

Sara Savage

Sharon said...

Leave it to me to think in terms of dogs... It could be a reference to what Cesar (the Dog Whisperer) says about walking a dog. If they are walking with their tails up, it indicates that they are in charge, confident and ready to meet the challenges of the world(not a good thing for their owners, but good for you). If they are submissive and not in charge, they walk with their tails straight out behind them. If this is the case "Tails up" would mean you are ready to meet these challenges with confidence...just don't start sniffing where you aren't supposed to!

Tails up!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I know I'm late on this one but my yellow lab Zoe says, "'Tails up' at the dog park is good Mom,...and waggin'? Even better." Here's hoping the tail is always waggin' on your "tails up" news.

Olivia and Zoe in San Francisco