Tuesday, May 6, 2008

It can't always be good news

Hi everybody, Jim here. Things have not gone well since the last post. Even as Linda was posting on Sunday, she was not feeling well, and by Monday we decided we couldn't until Friday to see the doctor. We called him that afternoon, and told him Linda was very fatigued and short of breath. He sent us to the ER at Christ Hospital for blood tests and the CT scan that we would've had on Tuesday anyway. It's hard to describe how frustrated we became as all the information and directions were so poorly communicated between the doctor and the hospital. Eventually though we did get the results and they were not good. Linda's hemoglobin level had fallen again only three days after the last transfusion. Even worse was the news that the Gemzar did not appear to be working, as the tumors in her lungs had increased in size since the last CT scan a month ago, and this was likely the reason for her shortness of breath. They admitted her to the hospital and spent the night transfusing 2 units of whole blood from 2am to 9am. This morning we saw Dr. Bhandari and he told us we would have to switch to a different treatment known as Torisel. He couldn't be sure of the effectiveness of this treatment, but he said there weren't many other options left. Torisel is administered as a weekly IV, so we stayed in the hospital today and they are infusing it even as I'm writing this. Assuming there are no adverse side effects, they will send us home tonight so we can hopefully get a better night's rest than last night. I know everyone is praying for her, but please say an extra prayer tonight. We'll be thinking of all of you as well, and saying a prayer of thanks for all our friends who are standing by us.
Thanks, luv ya,
Jim

P.S. from Linda: Thanks, Ryan for your thoughtful gift. It made my day in the hospital.

23 comments:

Susan said...

Try 100 extra prayers. I will put out the word through my web-enabled blabbermouth to get lots of folks having good thoughts for you, Linda. I hope they help.

kmberk said...

You are both in our thoughts and prayers. It was so good to you both on Saturday.
Much love,
Kathy & Jack

Anonymous said...

Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.Wishing you the best.

Dale & Trice

BuckeyeGuy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BuckeyeGuy said...

You are loved, and those extra prayers are already on the way! -Dave

Unknown said...

My "army of boys" and I have been praying daily for you, but today I will ask them to pray extra hard. You all have my love and support!
Love ya!
Lora

Anonymous said...

Jim and Linda

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Donna Knese

Anonymous said...

Linda, Jim

I'm not much of a prayer but I'm praying extra hard for you. Hang in there.

Saran

ChelleSmiles said...

Extra prayers are definitely being said here...Sending some hugs across the internet, as well.
-Michelle

Anonymous said...

Prayers, thoughts & hugs are coming your way. I love you.
Gina

Anonymous said...

Hi Jim and Linda,

You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I'll be praying this new medicine is just the ticket you need.

Love ya,

Judy Bosse

becky long said...

lots of love and prayer coming your way...

Unknown said...

The O'Haras will be praying for all of you, too. Please know that we are sending positive vibes & lots of love your way.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mrs. Wimmers, I will definitely be praying for you extra hard, and will definitely spread the word and get many prayers for you.

-Mikey

Anonymous said...

im saying prayers constantly for her!! and ill spread the word for prayers!!! the Baden girls love you mrs. wimmers!!

-erica baden

Anonymous said...

The Gamm's are saying extra prayers

Anonymous said...

We have been following along and praying for you for quite some time. We will continue to hold you close in thought and prayer~

Jeff & Nancy O'Donohoe

Anonymous said...

The out-pouring of love and support for you family is a beautiful thing to behold. I would like to add my family to the long list!
Best wishes, hopes and love to you all!!
Cynthia (wilm.)

Unknown said...

Thinking of and praying for you as always. Stay strong, Mrs. Wimmers :)

Anonymous said...

Linda, wrap yourself up in your blanket and feel the comfort and love and prayers of so many friends coming back to you.

Love and hugs,
Nancy G.

Anonymous said...

i think it might be time to wear the nemo shirt as much as possible...and to follow his motto. we are all praying for you like crazy.
love, meghan connelly

Kelli K said...

You are never far from my thoughts and prayers. Know that you are loved! I've been listening to my Linda's Happy CD too. Makes me think you are with me because I picture your smile the entire time I'm listening to it.

Love you.

Anonymous said...


Вы нашли свою вторую половину или же нет ?!
[url=http://neighbouringrights.ru/][color=#E4F4FE] [/color][/url]