Sunday, November 23, 2008

More bad news

I'm sorry to have to share this news with everyone, but things have not gone well since the last post. Linda is sleeping much, much more than usual and has had to start using pain medication on a regular basis. We saw the doctor on Friday and he told us that the most recent CT scan from 14 Nov showed the cancer was spreading again. Apparently the scan that was done on Oct 28th didn't show the new sites because it was done without contrast. He said it was clear that the Nexavar had stopped working.
His only recommendation was to try yet another drug (Avastin) that is used for other types of cancer but has had some success in clinical trials. There are more IVs involved, as well as other injections, so it will take some time for it to work, if it works at all. And time is not something that Linda has right now. Linda has bounced backed before after the other medications have stopped working, but she has never been this sick. She has trouble getting out of bed now, and getting to the doctor's has been even more difficult and painful for her. We will continue to hope, but we also know that we have to be realistic.
The kids will be here for Thanksgiving, and we are looking forward to spending the weekend together. We'll just have to wait and see what happens after that.
Luv ya,
Jim

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know, we wish you all much peace and love this Thanksgiving. I'm glad your family will be able to be together. It is the most important part of the holiday. How wonderful to share it with the ones you love the most.
Know that youre in all of our thoughts and hearts.
Our best wishes,
Cynthia and Craig Holden (wilm)

Anonymous said...

Dear Jim
I'm very sorry to hear about this latest news. I've been following the blog regularly and hoped that things would turn out better. Please give Linda my best wishes and tell her that my prayers are with her.

Dave Zelmon

kmberk said...

We hope that we can see you on Friday. Much love,
Kathy & Jack

Anonymous said...

Jim & Linda

Our prayers are with you and the family as you head into your Thanksgiving weekend. You are an inspiration to so many people, and that grandson of yours is one lucky fella - too bad he has to be a Bengals fan !!

Jim - Roberta and I have been reading the updates and we appreciate you sharing Linda's news. We are hopeful that Linda has the same success on this new drug as the previous ones, and most of all, that she is comfortable and able to enjoy Eli and her beautiful family this coming weekend.

Greg & Roberta

Anonymous said...

Jim and Linda and family

My thoughts and prayers are with you as they have been. Enjoy your weekend with your family. You have shown what the true meaning of family is.

Donna Knese

Anonymous said...

Linda and Jim,

Know that our prayers are with you this Thanksgiving. Remember we are just up the street if you need anything.

We love you both!

Bev

ChelleSmiles said...

Jim and Linda,

I'll send extra prayers your way. I wish so deeply I could do something to help. I hope this new medicine will help Linda so she can enjoy the holidays more.

My heart goes out to your entire family. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Michelle Burress

Anonymous said...

Jim and Linda,

I don't always get a chance to tell you I'm thinking about you but rest assured not a day goes by that I don't check for updates and say a prayer for you and your family. I've noticed it's been awhile since I sent any hugs, so here comes the best one yet.
*******HHHUUUGGGGGGGGGG********

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Love you all,

Judy Bosse

Joules Evans said...

Tell Linda that I love her, am praying for her, and would love to take a walk over to your house to visit with her.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you all right now. I hope that your time together as a family will be filled with peace and grace. Give Linda ALL my love. God bless you all.
Love ya
Gina

Kelli K said...

Linda,
I love you. You are an inspiration to me.

All of my love and prayers,
Kelli