Monday, September 24, 2007

If it's not one thing, it's another...

We just got back from the breast biopsy surgery and the diagnosis was "duct carcinoma in situ with microinvasive disease". It probably sounds worse than it is because the surgeon said that it was a tiny site and she felt that she had excised all the surrounding tissue. She referred to it as stage 1 and said that the odds of it spreading were only 1-2%. She said that she would normally have recommended radiation and removal of a lymph node for examination. But given the circumstances, this is the least of the problems right now. She said to continue looking into the treatments for renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and to come back in 6 months to see her. We just feel like it could have been a lot worse.
We also had a chance to talk yesterday with an RCC survivor ( a veterinarian from Texas) of 4 years who has lived with metastisis for the past 3 years. He's been on 7 different medications, including two that we had not heard of before. They were for small cell lung cancers that weren't mentioned in the RCC websites we've looked at. Except for his IL2 treatment he has been able to continue working throughout his treatments. We thought that was encouraging news!
Tomorrow we are off to Boston to look into the feasability of the IL2 treatments for me. If we choose this option it means several more trips to Boston (which I've never seen before!). We'll keep you updated after our visit tomorrow.
Love you all! Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.
Linda and Jim

8 comments:

Pam said...

I'll be thinking about you two. I know, without a doubt you will fight this with every fiber of your souls. I love you guys

Andrea said...

Congrats on posting without help from Chris! Looks good. Good luck in Boston and have fun. I wish I could be there, but I'll be thinking about you the whole time. Everyone in Wilmington is thinking about you too.

Susan said...

Good luck in Boston! Maybe you could have some lobstah and have a drink at Cheers while you're there. I'll be thinking of you.

Gregg and Cindy said...

Linda...Cindy and I will be thinking of you. If you or Jim need anything while you are gone, let us know.
Good Luck!!
Love,
Gregg and Cindy

Vicki Casto said...

Hi Linda and Jim,

Charlotte and I are greatful to be able to keep up with things through the blog. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers!

Charlotte & Vicki

crobison said...

Hello Linda,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Know that we live in a wondrous time with all the medical technology available to us.
Just remember "One Day at a Time".

Love
Cynthia R

Dave/Lucy said...

Whee is glad ewe too young'ns can stay together in Boston!
Hope youall gets better and in November ewe can geet that turkey ready four Thankxgiving!

angie miller said...

Hello Mrs. Wimmers,
I am a former student, now mother and teacher like you. I want you to know that I have many good memories of class with you, and that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you nothing but the best!
Angie (Gonya) Miller