Wednesday, September 26, 2007

This looks like the place

It's Wednesday morning, and we're still digesting all the information we received yesterday at Beth Israel in Boston. We began at 4:15p and didn't finish until 6:45. During that time we met with two nurse coordinators, Dr. Glotzbecker, and Dr. Atkins. While we were there they even reviewed the Cat Scans. Dr. Atkins is the Director of the Biologic Therapy program, and was without a doubt the most knowledgable doctor we've met so far. The best news we heard was that the 5% complete response rate for IL-2 was old data and that the number is more like 10-12%. 1 out of 8 is better than 1 out of 20. Partial response rates are 20-25%.
He pulled no punches about other treatment options, and explained that IL-2 was our best bet. He also explained that they are experimenting with combinations of drugs like Sutent and Avastin and how thet show promising results. They have a separate wing for their IL-2 patients, and they do 4 each week, and 95% of their patients complete the whole course of injections (3/day for 5 days). We see one more doctor today in Cincinnati, but we're comfortable that we've found the right place.
As we write this, we are having breakfast with Fran and Jeff Tarvin, whom we stayed with last night. Thanks Jeff, Thanks Fran, for your wonderful hospitality and friendship. We feel truly blessed. Gotta run, we'll write more later.

Love, Linda and Jim

10 comments:

Erica Kennedy said...

I'm so glad you found someone who fits with your needs, knows what they are talking about and you are comfortable with. He sounds great and I know you will be in good care there. Great to hear that your chances have increased! My family is pulling for you. The boys say, "moon, Elmo and pudding" for you : ) Keep fighting!
Love Erica

gina helms said...

Wow!Sounds promising! HOPE! HOPE! HOPE! That's my motto these days! After reading your last blog, all I have to say is..I knew you'd turn this into a math problem. Just kidding! I'm so proud of your positive attitude! You know you're in my prayers. Keep in touch. Love ya

BuckeyeGuy said...

NOW you decide to become computer literate!?!

Great to see your choice of a blog for communication. I know it's caused a few of your friends here to increase their knowledge of how the tubes of the Internet work... there's no such thing as a retired teacher, eh?

Miss you, love you, praying for you, and thinking of you often!

- Dave

Pam said...

Things are looking up-just don't forget to keep "looking up". Famous Roorbach family saying. So glad you liked the doctor!!! If you like him-I like him. You guys have been in my thoughts constantly.

Love ya,
Pam

Susan said...

This is good news. You deserve the best care possible, and it sounds like Boston has it.

Bert said...

Hi you guys;

Wow, it is great to see all this news so easily. You know that we're praying for you and just waiting to find some way to help.

I'm not sure what God has planned but we're praying for healing and for wisdom for the doctors and you two.

We love you.

Bert and Nancy

Pam said...

Hey Linda,

Since you seem to be in a teaching mode-what does blog stand for anyway? : )

Pam

Sue Niehaus said...

Your news put a smile on my face and more hope in my heart. You always did want to travel East in the fall!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Wimmers! I'm glad you found someone who will be a good doctor. I just wanted to tell you that I took my math test and for the most part I felt pretty good about it. That's all. I will be praying for you!'
Mike Evans